As one general manager told SN, “Now it’s inevitable. I don’t know how many other teams are going to want to get involved in any negotiation for him, because who wants to go through what the Nets just went through? It’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when.”The question, then, is whether Anthony is traded to the Knicks before the February 24 trade deadline and signs the three-year, $64 million extension that the Nuggets have already offered, or if he simply waits for free agency and signs with the Knicks in the summer. Anthony is averse to that possibility because, whenever owners and players do hash out a new collective bargaining agreement, the deal is likely to include lower maximums and fewer guarantees in player contracts…“It could be that whatever he signs now gets rolled back anyway, so it would not matter. It’s not like he isn’t going to get a big contract in free agency.”
It seems as if it’s not a matter of when we are going to get Melo, but rather what we are going to have to give to get Melo. Will we give up a package of Chandler/Fields/Gallo, or will he wait untill the summer to sign in NY?
Only time will tell, and nothing is for sure until there is a press conference.