The New York Knicks defeated the New Jersey Nets by a score of 116-93. Defeat, however, is a light word considering the absolute smack down the Knicks laid down on the Nets. The game was over by the end of the 3rd quarter as the 4th quarter turned into auditions for the Knick players hopeful of being in the playoff rotation and for the Net players seeking new contracts.
What Happened: The Knicks, playing without Amare Stoudemire, started off the game with a lack of intensity on defense leading to the Nets scoring 31 points in the first quarter. Brook Lopez in particular was destructive as he finished the game with 27 points and 2 rebounds. Fear not however, the Knick offense put up 36 points of its own in the 1st quarter behind good 3-point shooting before tightening the screws on defense and finishing the half with a 68-51 lead.
Carmelo Anthony finished the half with 23 points and attempted many “Jimmer Fredette” 3′s, pulling up well behind the 3 point line in transition. He finished the game with 25 points on 9-18 shooting and 2-6 from 3. In the 3rd quarter the Nets made a mini run before Chauncey Billups scored on several series followed by a 4-0 run by Jared Jeffries. Multiple anonymous sources are reporting that Jefrries’s 2 finishes by the rim are a new career high. By the end of the 3rd quarter the Knicks had a 20-point lead and the only highlight of the 4th quarter was a brawl in the stands.
Some Good and Bad:
- Landry “Laundry” Fields finished with 5 points and 8 rebounds but showed signs of breaking out of his slump. On One possession he blocked Sasha Vujacic and saved the ball from going out of bounds leading to a score, a typical “Laundry Fields” Play.
- Roger Mason JR. played much of the 4th quarter but was 1-5 blowing several open opportunities. Don’t look for Roger to have any impact in the playoffs, although if he was in form his shooing would be very resourceful.
- Derrick Brown had another positive game finishing with 8 points on 3-4 shooting and even hit on a 3 pointer.
- Bill Walker had another positive game. He finished with 10 points, but what really impressed me was Walker consistently trying to attack the rim without settling for 3′s.
- The Friday Night Knicks Curse was defeated by #WinForGianna.
- Last but not least, the Knicks fans really held it down in Newark tonight, if I had to guess 90% of the fans were Knick fans. Nice job #KnickKnation holding it down in Newark.